Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Five things you can do without knowing

My friend Erika tagged me with this, and at the right time, since I was floundering around for something truly meaningful to post, in relation to the season, and coming up empty. While I'm at it, I'm tossing in five things I wish for my writer friends in 2009: Kind reviews, enough acceptances to keep going, fewer rejections, work that matters (if only to you), and that your favorite print publications continue to exist.

What were you doing five years ago (December 2003)?

1. Procrastinating about what to do work-wise, since my youngest child had just begun kindergarten.
2. Filling out, and tossing out, applications to graduate programs in journalism, business, and creative writing (it would take another two years to get serious about an MFA).
3. Enjoying being at my fittest ever, weight- & health-wise (well, that was then….)
4. Working part time as a "real estate spy" evaluating agents.
5. Over-volunteering for my kids' school, scouts, and sports activities.


What were five things on your list for today?
1. Make the absolute, final, last trip to the grocery store.
2. Send my friends this and stop feeling guilty about the unwritten cards.
3. Bake (okay, slice & bake) far too many chocolate chip cookies.
4. Send a bunch of emails about helping to promote Feed Me!
5. Sort, wrap, stack and watch for UPS, fingers crossed.

What are five snacks you enjoy?
1. Sun Chips.
2. Anything with the words "dark chocolate" on the package.
3. Pretzels.
4. Popcorn (preferably kettle).
5. Chocolate chip cookies (see above).

What are five things you'd do if you were a billionaire?
1. Look around and see who needs help, close to home/heart.
2. Say these words to my kids: "Any college you want," and really mean it.
3. Write checks to organizations I care about.

4. Invest in the New York Times so I won't have to one day try to describe it to incredulous grandchildren.
5. Stop saying these words: "Oh, I don't need any new clothes or shoes."

What are five jobs you've had?
1. Retail cheese store clerk
2. Horse show judge
3. Waitress
4. Equestrian photographer's assistant
5. Ice hockey statistician

Who are five people you want to tag?
1. Michelle
2. Isaac
3. Raye
4. Harriet
5. Lyz

In the spirit of the holidays (in other words, because we are all crazed), they have my permission to delay responses till, you know, next year).

2 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

It is a great idea to take stock, look back five years,and realize all that has happened in that time. Also, to realize the transient nature of the problems we have going on right now.

As far as being tagged, it will have to wait until after the holidays.

:)

P.S. I'll promote Feed Me on my blog if you like? Can't wait to read it!

Happy Holidays Lisa!

Kristy Lund said...

I loved your holiday procrastination essay! I relate!

Happy holidays,
Kristy

(Who is right now wondering, should I apply for an MFA?) I think it's related to new years.