Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow Days and Books and Mr. Geisel


As Google reminded us today, Happy Birthday Theodor Geisel.

It's a snow day, and after playing their allotted hours of Wii, I found my kids curled up on separate couches, reading. Though they are far from beginning readers now, it made me think back to Dr. Seuss and how excited I'd get when I was a very young reader, and a crisp new book arrived in the mail each month, many times one of his.

Today the 10-year-old is reading the final book in a series about a young British spy with fantastical gadgets, and the teenager is pushing through a two-pound Star Wars-inspired novel.

Kind of makes me want to dig out the entire Seuss catalog from my attic, but it's far too cold up there. So I crack open a new novel and silently thank one extremely intelligent and wonderfully wacky early teacher.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." - T. Geisel

Enough said.

No comments: