Thursday, January 28, 2010

Let's Review: Memoir. And oh yes, more memoir, please.

I love a good memoir, as anyone who's been here before knows. Recently, I reviewed a good one - Yarn: Remembering the Way Home, by Kyoko Mori. It was a pleasure to be trusted with responding to Mori's beautiful work, and I also enjoyed getting back to reviewing a book in the genre I so love.

Lately, I had been reviewing from other categories: novel, short story collection, even a cookbook and a diet book (the last two not consecutively, at least!). I like the diversity, but nonfiction is such a pleasure to read, I hoard every excuse to read more of it.

What are you reading (and/or reviewing) these days?

2 comments:

Alexis Grant said...

Just finished NOTHING TO DECLARE. It's an oldie but a goodie! Looking forward to Dani Shapiro's DEVOTION.

Susan Bearman said...

I plan to review each of these soon, but you know about the best laid plans:

Invisible Sisters by Jessica Handler, the lone survivor of three sisters, two who died of cancer.

by Vicki Forman about her extremely premature twins; a tough read for me, since I also have premature twins. Brutally honest and beautiful.

Close Encounters of the Third Grade Kind by Phillip Done, a pure lark with anecdotes about being a long-time third-grade teacher (a follow up to his 32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny.

All memoir. If you're looking for a good YA novel, I highly recommend Beverly Patt's Haven.